A Brief Profile of St. Francis’ College of Education
St. Francis College of Education was the first catholic institution established in the Lower Volta Vicariate in 1908 by the German SCD missionaries on a parcel of land donated by Bla, Kpeme, and Abansi. It was then called St. Augustine’s College.
It was reopened the third time on 14th February, 1947 and named St. Francis’ College with St. Francis Xavier as the Patron Saint.
The College is now under the Episcopal jurisdiction of HO Diocese headed by His Lordship Most Rev. Francis Kofi Anani Lodonu.
The founding fathers were Rev. Fr. Bucking, Rev. Fr. Feldmann, and Most Rev. Fr. Joseph Gerald Holland.
The college was started at a place called “Kpodziga” and the college was nicknamed “Gborto College”, Tsiveme College etc.
The 3 communities: Bla, Kpeme, and Abansi of the Gbi Traditional Area gave out the initial land of 63 acres. This was extended to 91 acres in 1975.
The college was established as an all-male college with an initial intake of 30 students. It became a co-educational institution in 1954 when 30 women were admitted.
The Catholic Church, the community, and the college have co-existed in a friendly atmosphere over the years. The college assists the community in terms of making the college vehicles available to convey people to places when need arises and the church regularly visits the college on Patron Saints Day and Missions sending.
The college has had good academic records despite all odds. In the maiden Diploma in Basic Education results (2007), FRANCO topped all colleges by placing first.
The products of the college can be found in all sectors of the Ghanaian and world economy despite the fact that the primary objective of the college is to train teachers. There are politicians, legal personnel, civil servants, professors, lecturers, bankers, accountants, public servants, private businessmen and women, and security service personnel.